Friday 5 February 2016

Simple Rose Petal Fantasy by Melissa Struhs

Hi Bloggers! It's Melissa here with my first post for Colour Blast. I am so excited to finally be able to share some of the projects I have been working on over the past few months. 

Traditionally, I am not a mixed media artist so my designs will more aimed at people experimenting with these products for the first time or even taking a more measured  and streamlined approach to their layouts.

The very first time I played with all three of the products, I really just wanted to see how they were able to be utilised with gesso in conjunction with a stencil, a little chipboard or even some metal embellishments. With such gorgeous bold, shimmery intense colour, what look could be achieved with gesso? 

One of my favourite looks with Colour Blast at the moment is what I call the "Veriegated Look". It can be achieved by partially mixing some gesso with the paste and barely mixing it through before you apply it either over a stencil randomly or by paddling it onto to some chipboard pieces. I love that you can always go back in to create a slightly lighter or darker mix to the effect. By mixing the Rose Petal Colour Paste with the gesso not only does it lighten the original colour but it also reduces the shimmer effect. 






On the last layer  I added some of the matching Colour Embossing Powder over the wet medium and dried it with my heat gun. Not only does this allows you to create a smaller section and bring back the bling if you wish but intense heat will give you added texture with a blistering effect.




For any leftover "Veriegated" mix still on your craft mat, a dry bristle brush can create very soft finish to any metal object. Just a tiny bit can create dramatic results, I like to put on a dab and then keep flicking it back and forth until I am happy with the coverage. A quick and light spritz of the shimmer spray so it settles into the grooves of the embellishment and you are done.


Don't forget to drop by and see a brand new project everyday.
See you soon,
Mel






No comments:

Post a Comment