Tuesday 5 April 2016

Evil Queens by Krisy Podolak

I like to look for ways to use the pastes that go beyond just applying them through a stencil.  So, today I created an Art Journal Page that only used brushes to apply the paste.

On the background I used a wider dry brush to create texture and on the image I used a smaller brush layering the colour over and over.  

My daughter is really into the Disney princesses at the moment and I can't say I am disappointed.  I love watching the movies, I love the messages and I love the Princesses.  My favourites are Cinderella and Ariel but I love Belle and Anna too.  Oh, who am I kidding I love them all.  I think this layout is the start of a Princess series from me.  I have a whole heap of ideas that I just need to find the time to get onto paper.  Who's your favourite princess?  



I kept the background pretty dark on this layout using the 'Leather' and 'Dusty Charcoal' Colour Blast pastes with the dry brush.  The background was something that I had started a while ago and then it got but to the side at some point.  

For the apple I used red Acrylic paint mixed with 'Snow White' colour paste.  I don't have any red in my collection and to be honest I have been meaning to buy some for a while but everytime I have some spare money and put in an order, Red gets pushed to the bottom of the list when I look as some of the other amazing colours.  Red is back at the top now.  But that being said - the paste mixed nicely with the red acrylic and created a poison apple red that was better that I could have imagined.  I then applied straight 'Snow White' to create the apples shine.  For the leaf I use 'Envy' and 'Apple of my Eye'.  They look great together.





My lettering still needs a lot of work but it is slowly getting better.  I need to find a white pen that works well for journalling - I tried a Posca paint pen but I always have trouble getting them to write fluidly.  What's your favourite Art Journalling pen?  I resorted to using liquid white out which a fellow Art Journaller suggest to me and it worked but wasn't as fine as I wanted.  Any advice is appreciated!

As always, I have created a process video for you to have a look at - Art Journalling is something I want to find more time for. I really enjoy it.  Go check out my YouTube Channel Popleopod.


2 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! I love that you think outside the square!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather - Krisy has done an amazing job on this project.

    ReplyDelete