Wednesday 25 January 2017

"Be Brave" Art Journal Page by Michelle Logan

Hi Colour Blastians!
Michelle back again with my final post for Colour Blast 
(insert sad face).
It has been a "Blast" (pardon the pun but it had to be done!) but all good things must come to an end I am afraid, time to let others have a play! 

So sad news aside, I have created  an art journal page by just throwing stuff down! You can tell right?
Anyway here it is:



So lets get playing:


First up I had a very smashed up page in my journal (a page where I use up all my leftover paint etc, hate wasting a thing!) So I make myself use these pages as a challenge!
First step I wanted to push all the mess into the background, so gave it a coat of white Gesso then rubbed it back with a wipe to show the bits I felt I could work with.






Next I chose my colours, I wanted to keep it grey toned so I chose  Colour Shimmer Sprays in  Steel & Dusty Charcoal as well as Colour Sprays in Road Base & Indigo.
I then sprayed these colours around randomly across the page creating drips, puddles and splashes.





I knew I wanted to play with a wing stencil at some stage as the main focal point, so decided to spray through the stencil onto the background. I did not worry about getting a perfect image, just make patterns.
I then stamped with a background stamp and archival ink so it does not move when I add more liquid.




 Now to the main focal point! 
I used Colour Paste in Steel through the wing stencil.
I also scraped the leftover paste onto the edges of the page.





Now for the embellishment and quotes etc.
To make sure I get perfect images I stamp my choices on to tissue then adhere onto the page with Gel Medium. The tissue disappears into the background and the image stamped is perfect. I always use Stazon ink or equivalent for this step.
I added a few scraps of book paper to create interest on random spots on the page.
I then coloured some fibres/netting with the Colour Sprays I used earlier.





I then adhered some muslin for texture and added the dyed fibres beside the Colour Paste wing.
I felt the wing was not standing out enough so used Lollipop Colour Shimmer Dust, with a wet brush and water spray to get some "drippage" going through the wing.



I then stamped a background stamp in a matching ink to the Lollipop Shimmer Dust around the page to tie in the drippage.
I also made a few embellishments with the same pink ink to add to my focal points.
Lastly I added some circle stamps to get the eye moving across the page and added the metal tag.
Then the job was done!
Definitely not my fave but it was fun to play!
Here are a few close ups for you:






And my job here is done! 
Thanks for sticking with me all the way to the end, be sure to check back often to see what brilliance is being created by the rest of the team!
Happy days!
Michelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment