Tuesday 7 February 2017

I am the MACHINE by Krisy Podolak

Hi Colour Blasters, It's Krisy back for another term with Colour Blast Australia.  I am so happy to be back.  Today, I am sharing a layout that could double as an Art Journal page as the technique is pretty awesome plus easy and cost effective.

Here is my layout.

I started off being efficient and taking process photos but then I forgot.  So, I will explain the steps.

To create the base of the layout all you need to do is stick old packaging and chipboard negatives to a piece of cardstock.  (By chipboard negatives I mean those bits of chipboard that you push your shapes out of.)  To stick them on I used Helmars Glue but you can use gel medium if you like.  Add as many shapes and pieces as you like.  Be sure to over lap them to create some interesting layers.


Once that's done and dried, all you need to do is apply a layer of Colour Blast Heavy White Gesso over the whole thing.  I just used a 1 inch paint brush.  I wasn't too delicate as I wanted any brush strokes to add extra texture.  I didn't apply it too thick because I still wanted to see the packaging underneath.

Once the Gesso is dry, it's time to go to town applying layers of Colour Spray.  I used Lagoon, Carribean, Mocha, Coffee and Roadbase.  I just randomly sprayed the colours one at a time, making sure to dry them properly before add the next colour. (This stops them mixing too much, but they will still mix)


Once I was happy with my colour, I added some stamping using a permanent ink over the whole background.  My stamps are not mounted so it make it easier to stamp over the lumpy background.  If your stamps are mounted you can stamp onto white tissue paper, tear around the image and then use gel medium to stick them into place.  The tissue will become transparent.  I use this technique in the process video for my skulls stamps.  Something to note, when you use gel medium on your stamped images, apply the gel medium to the back of your tissue paper and then carefully pick it up and apply it to your layout.  If you apply gel medium directly to your layout over your colour it will react with the gel medium.  Colour Sprays are all reactivated by anything wet!

And that is my background done.  I then went ahead and embellished.  I used a lot of cog chipboard and embossed them all will Colour Embossing Powder.  I used the colours Leather, Steel, Dusty Charcoal and Deep Water.  Some I applied one layer of embossing powder and others I applied more.  This creates some interesting texture.  The more coats you add the thicker and more glossy the embossing will look.


And that's it.  This layout is all about the mixed media textured background.  You don't need to embellish too much as there is so much to look at already.

Thanks for stopping by today, make sure if you use these techniques you share your creations on our Facebook page Colour Blast Creative Corner, I'd love to see what you have been inspired to create.

Happy Making Stuff
Krisy xx



No comments:

Post a Comment