Tuesday 18 July 2017

Believe In Your Own Magic - Melinda Sweetman

Hello fellow Colour Blasters!! I hope today finds you well and ready to be inspired! Melinda here with you today with a little something different!

I am sharing a little OTP canvas artwork I created!

Here is my finished design and I just LOVE how it came out in the end! I was inspired to create this because I really, really, really wanted to colour something (I haven't picked up my copics in MONTHS) so started with a class image from a class I am enrolled in and off I went!



Here is how my project came together in video form



Otherwise (or as well as ;) ) read on for my step-by-step's!!

First up I grabbed some thick cardboard from some packaging and my A4 sized canvas pad and cut them both down to 5" x 7". I adhered them together using our White Heavy Gesso and then also applied a coat of gesso to the top of the canvas paper and left to dry.



My next step was to add some texture to my faux canvas with some more gesso and a stencil in a diagonal from top right to bottom left.



I let that air dry (I didn't want the bubbly texture the gesso can get when you heat it) and then worked on my layers using my colouring as the main feature (coloured with copic markers). Love how these look all layered up and distressed!




Now I know what my layers are going to look like it's time to start work on the background of my faux canvas. Please be aware that the step-by-step photos are not of the actual end piece as I got carried away while creating ;)


The only difference (besides the stencil) is that I did not gesso the canvas before doing my stencilling so the colours don't move quiet as much around the piece!


First up I started with Sapphire Colour Spray. Just using the nozzle I applied a little colour in drips and drops. 




Next I added water both from a spray bottle and a wet paint brush and let the colour move around the canvas.




I dried this colour off and then repeated the process with both Lagoon and Carribean Colour Sprays until my whole panel was covered in colour making sure to dry between colours so the colours blended nicely without them all mixing together completely.




I love how this panel looks! On my original (and also this piece to show you!) I wanted to add a little more dimension so pulled out my Colour Shimmer Dust in Navy and literally used my brush to apply colour over the whole stencilled area. In my sample here I have applied it randomly for depth but on the original you can really see the stencil design pop!


And here is the completed faux canvas with all the same techniques and colours applied


I used my heat tool to dry this off and I just love, love, love how this looks! 

It was time to put it all together and I decided I needed a little more texture in the background so first up I grabbed some cheesecloth and then some chipboard which I applied a quick coat of gesso to and dried with my heat tool.


Then I inked this with a pink chalk ink and embossed using the Punch Colour Embossing Powder for a beautiful contrast to all of those blues and teals!


Now I really can stick it all together!! Lots of foam and lots of wet glue to make sure it sticks good!

Once I had everything assembled I decided the edges needed a little something so I grabbed my Roadbase Colour Spray, a paint brush and added a border all the way around the edge of my faux canvas and this just finished it off beautifully!


And here is my finished project!


A close up of those layers and my colouring


Some of that oh so pretty texture from the gesso and sprays


The beautiful contrast of that embossing next to those sprays


And finally all the dimension from all of those layer <3<3<3 Swoon!


So, that's it for me for today! Something a little different and alot of fun! If your "norm" is OTP I challenge you to do a page, likewise if your "norm" is a page, I challenge you to do something OTP, you may just love it and be extra inspired with your next "norm" project! 

Whatever you do, please head over to the FB group here to share your Colour Blast creations, we all love seeing what you do with the amazing products available!

I'll see you again soon, until then, happy scrapping!!


Melinda





No comments:

Post a Comment