Thursday 3 August 2017

Chasing Scrappy Dreams by Gwen Wruck

Hi, creative friends!!

Gwen here today, and I'm super excited to share my very first project as part of the Colour Blast team.

I started scrapping in 1998 and still absolutely love it.  I am currently on many design teams and love showcasing products, sharing ideas and connecting with the scrap community and I am thrilled to be a Scrapbooking Memories Master for 2017.  I also teach at a local store all of which keeps me very busy!!

I adore paper and layering it up and have quite an eclectic feel to my designs.  My pages are embellishment heavy - generally, clusters and most definitely have a "pretty" feel to them.  I love chipboard, layers and flowers and almost always include sewing on my pages.  I love water colours, and shimmery mixed media, used in a subtle and clean way.  I am so looking forward to sharing my “clean mixed media” style with you - proving you don’t have to get your hands dirty or product all over your page to do mixed media!! 


Now onto my project!!  For my first creation, I wanted to do a 12 x 12 layout working with the Colour Shimmer Cubes.   I really wanted to do something very "me", something shimmery and pretty and in my very favourite colour combo, pink green and gold.


To create my page I started with the packaging technique using the New Colour Shimmer Cubes on a plain piece of Marshmallow cardstock.  I chose Blush to start, so soft and OH SO pretty.  I put a generous amount of water into the cube and then once the colour was mixed, transferred it onto a piece of scrap plastic.  I then 'smooched' it together and then across the centre of my page.


I love how you can control the depth of the colour by adding more water, the more translucent you would like it, the more water you need to add.  I wanted it to be very soft so I have added quite a bit.

Once this was fully dry it was time for some paint splatters...


I have used Punch and Lipstick for this, I was going for tone on tone here and the 3 colours work together so well.  (Yes, you definitely need ALL the pinks!!)  To do this, I added water and simply mixed with a paint brush.  Then making sure I had plenty on my brush, gently flicked it onto my page.  I find too that I prefer the look of the splatters done one colour at a time and dried off with a heat gun in between.  This will stop the colours blending together.  

To finish up the background, I wanted to add some Gold and Bling is the perfect shade.  Using the same technique as above, I have used my paint brush to gently flick it onto my page.  I then set the whole thing a side to dry completely.


and here is a close up of the finished background - I do love how this turned out!


Now was the time to gather my papers and other elements.  I am crazy in love with the Maggie Holmes Chasing Dreams collection and I haven't had much of a chance to play with it so this was heaps of fun!  


I went with a pretty simple photo mat and some fussy cut pattern papers.  I didn't want anything too heavy that would weigh down all those delicate splatters!  Working across my page, I also added my title and ephemera pieces.

I also wanted to add some sequins on top of some of the splatters in similar tones.  To me, it's like the sequins are 3D splatters and really help them pop! 


You can see here just how pretty they are...  and they are super shimmery in real life!!


and there you have it.. my first Colour Blast project - I really hope you like it and it inspires you to work with the new Colour Shimmer cubes, they really are beautiful.


I give this project a "mess level" of Low
 (One piece of scrap plastic packaging, 1 paint brush and 1 cup of water)
Hands, nails and workspace remain totally colour free!

Thanks for popping by
Gwen
xox





1 comment:

  1. Love it Gwen. Now I have to go and make sure I have all the pinks!!!

    ReplyDelete