Saturday 9 September 2017

Better Together with Melinda Sweetman

Hello Colour Blasters, Melinda here with you today with my latest DT share!

Today I have this fun page I created after a very inspiring weekend taking some classes at a local scrappy retreat!



This was pretty quick to come together and I love the end result!

First step - grab a piece of gesso'd white cardstock - I already have a few sheets aside coated in clear gesso for just such an occassion!

I was inspired to create with a new stitched circle stamp I got recently so I started by using the 2 smallest circles and some black archival ink randomly in a vertical line down my page. I then grabbed a messy sketchy heart stamp and repeated the same process.



I made sure that was completely dried and grabbed a script stencil and my Stormy Weather Colour Paste. I left that to dry naturally - coincided perfectly with lunch time!!



Next up, colour! I decided today to use my Colour Shimmer Dusts. I grabbed 2 colours - Lollipop and Candy - and topped up my little wells with some more dust and water. I added a few spritzes of water to my paper, grabbed my paintbrush and started dabbing colour on randomly. Again working in that vertical line.





I did start to use the 2 colours but decided that the Candy wasn't quiet right so dabbed most of that off and continued on with the Lollipop. This colour is SUPER bright so I did dab up some of the colour with a paper towel - another way you can decrease saturation/brightness is by adding extra water!

This I heat set and decided I was going to add some splatters. I used a fan brush (brand new purchase!) to see how it worked, again with the Lollipop Colour Shimmer Dust and then grabbed my Roadbase Colour Spray for some black splatters.



At this point I decided I wanted some more texture so grabbed a couple more stamps and applied randomly using my black archival ink once again.



Time to assemble all my pieces. I had already worked out I wanted to use the Better Together foam thickers for my title. 



I also knew I wanted to use some pieces from the Mad About You collection by Flutterby Designs so started playing with layers and placement. I stuck everything down with my wet adhesive as most of the time my tape doesn't like to stick to layers and mixed media!
I added some black thread and my date stamp and voila, page done!



I have included some personal journalling on the back of the page - not like me to have a page without it and since this is more personal on the back it goes!

I had lots of fun putting this page together and though it's somewhat different to what I envisioned in my head it is mostly what I wanted it to be and that is unusual! Especially considering at one point I almost ditched the background to start again! If you would like to see the whole page come together just click on the play button below and enjoy!


Anyways, have fun playing and experiment with your products!

Until next time, happy scrapping!



Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment