Wednesday 7 June 2017

Hello Beautiful by Sue Plumb

Hi everyone! Sue Plumb here with my latest design team project to share with you. Today I have a 12x12" layout that features the gorgeous new Colour Shimmer Cubes. (For anyone who hasn't seen these little pots of watercolour deliciousness yet, make sure you head to the store HERE and check them out!) Besides the cubes, I also used Colour Paste, Heavy White Gesso, Colour Embossing Powder and Colour Shimmer Spray in the making of this project.

Here's what I created...


Whenever I get a new product to use, I like to play around to see how it applies, blends, and performs on different surfaces. With the Colour Shimmer Cubes being a watercolour cake, I decided to reach for some watercolour paper first to take them for a spin. I used a small flat brush, which I simply dipped into a cup of water, activating the paint as I went. I used the Blush and Tangereen Dream colours as I thought they would make a pretty blend.


I was happy with the way they applied to the paper, and the way they moved around and blended when more water was added to the page. They also have a delicious shimmer (which may be a little difficult to see in my process photos, as I was using overhead light). I then set the watercolour paper aside to dry and repeated the same process on white cardstock. I added some small splatters with the brush using the two colours I had out and also in Steel; and then left it to dry as well.


I loved the way the colours looked once dry, and didn't want to waste the sheet of watercolour paper I had used to play; so I decided to stamp some flower images that I then fussy cut to use as embellishments on my page.


I wanted to add a little extra depth of colour to my background, so I reached for my Bling Colour Paste. I thought some golden highlights would work well, so I used my finger to smear some paste in random areas on my page. (Sometimes fingers make the best tools!)


Next, I turned my attention to my embellishments. I had a number of wood veneer pieces which I painted with a coat of White Heavy Gesso. I had initially planned to keep most of the pieces simply painted white, with the exception of the main title word, which I embossed using Bling Colour Embossing Powder to tie in with the gold highlights in my background.


Once my title was embossed, I felt the other pieces could do with an extra "lift" as well. I still wanted to keep them white though, so I embossed them using Snow White Colour Embossing Powder. 
After all that, it was time to put my layout together.


I decided to cut the photo of my daughter out so I could remove all the distractions in the background. I layered the photo on top of a paper doily and some frayed gauze, which helped define the focal area of my page.


I placed the stamped flowers I had fussy cut earlier around my page, and layered them with some gold thread. I adhered some of them using foam tape and curled the edges up for extra dimension.


Next, I tucked the large string heart wood veneer behind my photo, and then positioned the small wood frame around the corner of my photo.


I then added the wood veneer hearts; the paper flower on top of the string heart; and a few white paper leaves.


Next I added my title, which I also layered on top of some gold thread; a couple of small phrase stickers and some enamel dots scattered around my page.


To finish, I couldn't go past one last splatter - this time using my Bling Colour Shimmer Spray. This was the final element I needed to help tie all those gold tones together.


Thanks for stopping by today so I could share this with you. I will be back again in a couple of weeks with another project. Until then, happy scrapping!

* For anyone near Brisbane this weekend, make sure you plan a visit to the Scrapbook & Papercraft Expo at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre. You can visit the Colour Blast stand to watch live demonstrations and pick up plenty of your favourite Colour Blast products *

No comments:

Post a Comment